Friday 11 May 2012

The wandering continues.... I went to the local Clergy Chapter meeting the other day (for my non clergy friends this is a regular get together of the clergy of a deanery) The Area Dean, Fr Simon  (my counterpart here) very kindly came to collect me.  This was a relief as I had no idea where the meeting was to be held! It was a surprise once the customary 'G'day' to detect an English accent. Simon is indeed English. He trained at Lincoln Theological College where our + Stephen was his Chaplain. He has served in Manchester and Bradford Dioceses...and has played cricket at Birchencliffe CC right next to St Philips!  It was interesting to hear much the same conversations as we have at our chapter meetings, ...money...fees...pastoral issues etc.  Here the clergy are paid by the parishes - like the Baptist Ministers in England. So no money - no Vicar - just imagine what that policy would do to parish clergy numbers in our Diocese! The Rectories are also the responsibility of the parishes - same as on the Isle of Man. 
I presided at the mid week service at St Oswalds yesterday - just 6 people turned up ( so I felt right at home!)  They were very patient with me as I weaved my way through much page turning.  I had spent ages the night before working it all out and filling the Australian Prayer Book with post it notes.  Despite all that, I never did find the post communion prayer so moved swiftly on to the blessing. I shall need to do better on Sunday.
I mentioned in a previous post the emphasis on gender inclusive language.  I read in the prayer book that ' Since 1977, the use of male pronouns as generic terms in liturgy has become unacceptable'  Since 1977! They are SO way ahead of us on this one.  Apart from that...parish life is much as it is at home. I've been to worship planning meetings and done lots of chatting to people. I called into church this morning and had a lovely chat with two ladies who were cleaning brasses and arranging flowers - it could have been England. I do have to open the church at 7:30am every morning and close it at 5pm which is something I don't have to do at home!
We managed to get the car out yesterday for the first time and we drove to the seaside. It reminded me of how much we enjoyed the easy access to the sea when we lived on the island - what a wonderful thing to be able to do after work - paddle in the Southern Ocean.


As for the driving.... I was quite freaked out for a while as this was my first encounter with an automatic car - and its a big car compared to our Honda Jazz. But I managed it and coped with the Anzac Highway reasonable well. 
If we go into the city we walk through the Parklands and catch the tram. We visited the market in Adelaide earlier today - and there you can buy everything from chocolate covered figs to good old Yorkshire Tea - presumably from the famous Huddersfield tea Plantations. We have also visited some of the museums and started to learn something of the culture and history of the Aboriginal peoples.  The local Aboriginal peoples are the Kaurna.   The displays about hunting and food gathering made us realise where the idea of 'Bush-Tucker- trails on the 'I'm a celebrity' series comes from!
My first Sunday is looming so I need to go now and search for more 'post it' notes..........................

1 comment:

  1. Hope all goes well in the morning Mary - looking forward to hearing all about it.
    x

    ReplyDelete