Sunday 13 May 2012

This has been my first 'working' Sunday. I preached and presided at St Oswalds this morning.  Everyone was very helpful - nudging me occasionally when I needed to move or speak! Reminded me of my early days as a Curate when I hadn't got a clue what happened next!  The children have their craft table at the front of the church - they have a couple of adults with them and they have craft based on a theme which today was 'friendship'. Before the sermon the preacher goes and sits with the children and tells a story based on the theme - this is something that everyone listens to. Today I had messages of friendship for them from the children at St Pips and St Cuths

The children read out the messages and then made a friendship display
 - the St Oswald's children were thrilled to get all the messages - so thanks to all who sent stuff through. I had to print it all out in black and white as there's no coloured ink in the printer here - but they all looked good. The children here made concertina people to add to the display. I am hoping to get more messages from the children at home which can be added to the wall. 
The rest of the service went well despite my mild confusion due to a very different order to things in the liturgy - afterwards everyone was very friendly - we've had a few offers to take us out to places. Someone is taking us to an Aussie Rules football game at the Adelaide Crows.  I've seen a bit on the telly, looks like a mix of football and rugby, except they can throw the ball forward.  Also Graham has a few offers of days out while I am away at the Adelaide Clergy Conference in a few weeks.
This afternoon we had this lovely visitor to the Rectory Garden - I think that it is a rainbow lorrakeet but am prepared to be corrected by my twitcher friends (you know who you are!)

This afternoon we walked to the second church, Emmanuel, to watch a play called 'The Road to Emmaus' the play  had been written by a member of the congregation and it was brilliant, with just three characters - Cleopas, his wife...and the stranger.  This was our first visit to Emmanuel and we were made very welcome.  There is a very small congregation and just has a BCP service on a Sunday morning - which I will be leading next Sunday.
This coming week we will be wandering a bit - spending a night at the beach house at Aldinga and we've booked a day tour to the Barrossa Wine district.

No comments:

Post a Comment